Have any of you thought of having Chicken ala King lately?
I remember what it looks like but not exactly what it tastes like, and no idea back then how to make one!
Some of us who used to live in the Philippines may feel nostalgic about it. You would just hop to the mall with your family or friends and enjoy food like this instantly.
Since that’s not happening soon, let’s stop dreaming about it and let’s start making it.
What do you remember about this dish? When you go by Wikipedia definition, it says, “diced chicken in a cream sauce, and often with sherry, mushrooms, and vegetables.”
That sounds good to me. What makes it even better is you can make it in more ways than one.
Some people cook the chicken first by boiling it and using the broth later in the sauce. Others cook it along with the rest of the ingredients. And there are those who use rotisserie chicken for convenience or taste preference.
If using pre-cooked chicken, just stir it in after your sauce has come together.
When it comes to what veggies to put in, some swear that adding celery and carrots gives better flavour. Others use red or green bell peppers (capsicum) and green peas. And there are a few who even add spinach to it.
Personally, I love the addition of pimento and highly recommend it. It doesn’t only give the food a nice colour but also adds a touch of sweetness and tartness to it and helps balance the richness of the dish.
If you’re in NZ and can’t find one, you can grab a jar of petite peppers as a substitute. Here’s what I’ve used (photo on right).
To make the sauce creamy, using heavy cream is the way to go for some while others find full fat milk or half and half better.
What to serve it with?
Enjoy it served over crusty bread/toast, rice, pasta, or puff pastry shells.
Food is wonderful as such. You can make as many variations as you wish. It’s never boring.
And if you ask me, I want my chicken ala king rich and creamy with mushrooms, pimento, green peas, and a splash of dry sherry or white wine for enhanced taste.
How To Make Chicken Ala King
Chicken ala King
- 500 g skinless and boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 cup (57 g) butter
- 250 g white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (sub with canned sliced mushrooms)
- 4 tbsps dry sherry (sub with white wine, brandy, or leave it out if you don't cook with alcohol)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup pimentos or petitte peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ½ tsp chicken powder stock
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (57 g) butter
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- Heat a pan and melt 1/4 cup (57g) butter.
- Add the mushrooms. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced chicken, salt, ground black pepper, and sherry. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a sauce pan and melt the remaining 1/4 cup (57g) butter.
- Add flour and stir until the mixture forms. Pour in chicken broth and stir until the butter and flour mixture dissolves. Let boil.
- Add the broth mixture to the chicken. Stir to combine.
- Stir in heavy cream. Add thyme, pimento, parsley, green peas, and ½ tsp chicken powder. Let boil and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Serve hot over toast, rice, or pasta.