Spicy, juicy, and golden fried chicken coated in a delicious, thick sauce. It’s worth a try!
I’m talking about the Spicy General’s Tso’s chicken here guys, another recipe packed with punchy flavours adapted from Marion’s Kitchen. Yet, if spicy food is not your jam then ditch the chili – this way you don’t have to miss out.
There are a few easy steps to follow in making it and takes a wee bit of time because it involves frying the chicken and making it golden and crispy. But you’ll be rewarded just you wait once you take your first bite!
MARINADE AND SAUCE
A couple of notes on the marinade and the sauce. The original recipe suggests using vodka in the marinade, and I’m all for it because alcohol carries flavour into the marinated meat. It improves the taste of the food and makes it smell even better.
I’ve used brandy instead since that’s what I have. Also, Chinkiang vinegar is used in the sauce originally, but I’ve replaced it with an equal measure of red wine vinegar. I love how it has tuned out. However, if you do have vodka and Chinkiang vinegar available in your pantry then go ahead and use those.
FRESH CHILI VS DRIED CHILI
As for the chili, it’s ideal to use dried chili but I’ve substituted it with fresh tiny red chillies to see if it would work. And it did.
I’ll have another go at this dish and make sure to use dried chili next time to see if there will be a big difference.
Overall, I was extremely pleased I gave that a crack. Keen?
Spicy General's Tso's Chicken
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup corn flour (cornstarch)
- 500 g chicken breast, diced
- oil, vegetable or canola
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cm pc ginger, finely julienned
- 5-6 dried chillies cut into 3cm pieces, seeds removed Or tiny red chilli
- spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or Chinkiang vinegar
- 2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp caster or granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vodka or brandy (optional)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Combine the marinade ingredient in a bowl. Add the diced chicken and stir to combine. Marinate for 10 mins.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce.
- Mix the flour and corn flour in a large tray. Add the chicken and all the marinade. Mix and coat the chicken using your hands.
- In a wok or saucepan, add enough oil to deep-fry the chicken. Cook the chicken in the hot oil for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through, golden and crispy. Do it in batches and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- In a wok or large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the garlic, ginger and dried chilli. Add the sauce and simmer for about 3-4 minutes until it thickens.
- Add the fried chicken to the wok or pan and toss to coat. Throw in some spring onions.