Puff pastry shells are surprisingly easy to make. Using a storebought puff pastry is perfectly fine, and with only a few steps you will soon be enjoying these flaky and golden puff pastry shells at home.
Just keep in mind a few things –
Use a very cold puff pastry sheet. Make sure your puff pastry sheets are still firm and very cold when you cut through them. This will prevent you from mashing the layers of pastry, which might turn the shells into odd shapes during baking.
To thaw, take out the puff pastry sheet from the freezer for at least 45 minutes before you use it. Or place it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
Do not skip the egg wash. The egg wash is used to seal or join the cut rounds/circles together. It also gives a beautiful, golden finish to your shells after baking.
What do you need?
Puff pastry sheets (storebought)
Egg and water
Ready to make your puff pastry shells? Here we go. The video below is helpful especially if you are a visual learner.
- Brush top of the pastry with egg wash.
- Cut 8 big rounds from the pastry sheets. Cut through 4 smaller rounds from 4 of the pre-cut rounds.
- Place the cut rounds on top of the uncut rounds. Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven.
Now, you are ready to fill these shells with your favorite filling and serve them to your loved ones, too.
Some savoury and sweet filling ideas:
Chicken ala king or chicken pot pies
Ham and cheddar cheese
Pie filling (any)
Berries and cream
I don’t know about you but there is a feeling of delight when you look at these golden pastry shells and appreciate how easy and fun it is to make them. So, wait you not, and go make dem shells!
Watch How To Make Puff Pastry Shells
Puff Pastry Shells
- 2 sheets puff pastry (storebought)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsps water
- Take out puff pastry from the freezer at least 45 minutes before beginning, or leave the puff pastry in the fridge overnight to thaw. (Note 1)
- Preheat oven to 204 C or 400 F. Prepare the egg wash by beating the egg with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Lay down a sheet of puff pastry on the worktop. Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash. (Note 2)
- Use a 7-cm (2.8-inch) round cutter to cut 8 circles from the pastry sheet. Use a 4.5-cm (1.8-inch) to cut through from 4 of the pre-cut circles.
- Place down the cut circles on top of the 7-cm uncut circles. Finish by brushing once more with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 16-18 minutes until golden brown and puffed. Baking time may vary, so keep a close watch on them.