Once I was looking for take-aways, but I got frustrated at how limited my options were. It was almost time for dinner, and I couldn’t even decide what to buy. I was also not willing to splurge at any nearby restaurants for a bite.
Quickly, I browsed the net and scanned for fast and easy meal recipes and voila! – my eyes were drawn to the Spicy Garlic Butter Linguini. It was fast and easy to prep, appetizing, option to add veggies a plus, and budget-friendly. Dinner sorted!
Spicy Garlic Butter Linguini
- 200 g 7 oz spaghetti
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp finely sliced spring onions/scallions
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- To make the garlic oil, place the oil and the garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the garlic is sizzling, cook for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is just starting to turn golden at the edges. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and set aside for later (the garlic will continue cooking and turn evenly golden in the bowl).
- Heat a large pot of salted water over high heat. When boiling rapidly, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the butter, garlic and chilli flakes into a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook stirring until the butter is just melted (you want the garlic to soften but not colour), then add the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Simmer for a minute and then take off the heat until the pasta is cooked.
- When the pasta is al dente, reserve a cup of pasta cooking liquid in case you need it later. Place the butter sauce back on the heat and add the pasta straight into the pan. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed by the pasta and everything is looking super glossy and thick. Toss through the parmesan cheese (add a little pasta cooking water here if necessary). Divide among serving plates. Top with a drizzle of garlic oil and some garlic chips. Sprinkle with spring onion and add extra cheese.