Are you looking for something tasty and easy to prep for lunch or dinner using only a handful of ingredients? Why not. It saves you money without sacrificing taste and good nutrition.
Well, you can keep looking or stop right here and check out this chorizo pasta that ticks all the boxes! Why not build on the chorizo’s robust taste and smoky flavour to bring pizzazz to your pasta, while the other ingredients add layers of deliciousness to it. Let’s start with —
What kind of chorizo do I use? A mild or spicy Spanish chorizo is great in this recipe. Partially or fully cured chorizo works.
What other ingredients do I need?
- 250 grams of uncooked pasta – any kind of pasta is fine except for tiny shapes which are commonly used for soups.
- 400 grams can diced tomatoes – Grab a can of diced tomatoes for a dollar or use a can of whole peeled tomatoes and crush it if that’s what you have.
- Half a cup of heavy cream – now is a good time to bring out any unused heavy cream sitting in your fridge. The richness it brings to the dish is just lovely.
- Garlic and onion – the aromatics you need to perk up your pasta
- Parmesan cheese – adds oomph to your dish but it’s optional.
That my friend is one satisfying meal using at least a couple of quality sausages and a few pantry staples. I dare say, it’s enjoyable to serve hot or cold!
This dish is inspired by Natasha of Salt & Lavender recipe blog site.
- 250 grams uncooked pasta
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 250 grams Spanish chorizo sausage, cut into small pieces
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 400 grams canned diced tomatoes with juices
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Cook pasta as per package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and chorizo, fry until it starts to get crispy.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, and cream. Cook the sauce for 5 mins or more until reduced and slightly thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Toss pasta with the cream. Add freshly grated parmesan cheese, if you have it.